What makes a Good Teacher?
Have you ever wondered, I mean, really, really ever wondered, what makes a good teacher?
Is a teacher good if he/she scolds the students everytime?
Is a teacher good if he/she gives sweets or stickers to students everytime?
Is a teacher good if he/she closes one eye to everything?
Is a teacher good if he/she is able to produce results only?
There are so many ifs and possible scenarios. To me, what makes a good teacher is a balance of everything. Honestly speaking, I know I'm not a good teacher. But I know I am not that bad either, at least my students product results and I am able to communicate in a position of friends to some of them. What has got me thinking about this is because I helped another teacher do relief today for piano class and her student was simply atrocious. Not that the student is rebellious or what, but it's the attitude that is instilled in the girl. Her student was simply "heck care". When I was teaching her, I had to walk through the student step by step from scratch. What's worse is, the girl is taking her Grade 5 piano exam in 2 months time and at the rate she is going, give her one more year and she still won't be ready. Something must be done. I was quite tempted to tell my boss to transfer her to me, but then again, I am not ready to take on additional responsibilities, but yet I can't stand to see this poor girl being stagnant. What should I do?
Her teacher has been away for 1 month, and this poor student has been facing different relief teachers for the past few weeks. As a teacher, once you commit to a student, it takes a lot of effort and personally I feel, maybe one week off is alright, but not too long. The student will lose out a lot. Even if a teacher is going off for a period of time, it is always good to leave a note for the relief teacher as to what you need to cover as that the relief teacher can cover and teach the student new things. Oh well, maybe it is not her fault, maybe is the student's fault if she is just simply bo chap. I have a handful of students like that too and I know how it feels.
Being a teacher, I do not strive for students to love me. But at the end of the day, all I want the students to feel is that, they can do it if they put in the effort and walk off feeling that they have learnt something. They can hate me, I can be fierce, I punish but ultimately, its for their own good. I do not have any experience teaching in a primary school yet so it is hard to say but I believe that every student is teachable, its a matter of finding the solution and method. Another major factor is passion. Without passion and the love of teaching, it will be hard to motivate students. Determination. Perservance. Sincerity.
My ambition, my dream is finally coming true. Looking back at my life since I was young, I remembered making my brother sit down in front of the whiteboard we used to have and I pretended to be the teacher and he will sit down and listen. Haha. Those were the days. Now, no more pretence. I hope all goes well in my teaching career.
No comments:
Post a Comment